Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sunday Flop















On Sunday, I along with nine other Toastmasters took part in the District-level International Speech contest that was held in Kuala Terengganu. I was the second speaker. When I finished, I felt good about my speech, about myself.

But I was deceived. I went over time.

I was disqualified. I didn’t win.

And I wept. Three days and three nights.

The cockroach looked at me and it didn’t understand.













Then I remembered “The Last Lecture” delivered by Randy Pausch: “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”

I stared at the cockroach. Then I stomped on it.


 
I must never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.

I resolve to try again. After all, I am a survivor.

And a cockroach appears by my side.


1 comment:

jupiter said...

I thought you did very well Victor. And I believe many others shared the same sentiment.