Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Story of a Cockroach






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It took me close to three days before the idea that I had won sank in. That explains why I did not blog about my success until now. At this moment, I am elated. Exhilarated. Euphoric.
 
It has been so long, so please bear with me if I am in the mood to gloat. No, I shall not. But it is a victory which I cherished a lot.
 
In all the Toastmasters contests that I had participated in, I didn’t quite make it. I cleared club-level and even Area-level but always, I ended up either as the first runner-up or second runner-up at the Division-level contests.
 
At the Division B Speech Evaluation contest on September 25, 2010, I came in second place. At the Division B Table Topics contest on March 19, 2011, I also came in second place. At the Division G International Speech contest on March 30, 2011, I was No. 2 again. And at the Division P Humorous Speech contest on October 05, 2013, I was yet again in second place.
 
Moreover, in the Division G Humorous Speech contest on October 21, 2012, I came in third place. And in the Division B International Speech contest on April 06, 2013, I finished in third place as well.
 
My breakthrough came on Saturday. Like the cockroach in my speech, I did not surrender. Instead, I worked damn hard at it. Didn’t I say “what does not exterminate me, makes me stronger”? I am a survivor, after all.
 



And at last, I triumphed. I got first place in the Division G International Speech contest on March 29, 2014.
 
I am grateful to my BFF (Incidentally, that was my speech title, “My BFF”), the cockroach because it was the reason I won. Finally.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next stop is Kuala Terengganu. District-level. And if I win it, the world stage is mine to conquer.
 
I shall dream a new dream. As Walt Disney said, “If you can dream it, you can do it”.
 
Hmmm, I wonder if cockroaches dream?

No comments: