Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Giant Selfie Installation













AFP/Relaxnews pic, April 22, 2014 

A California-based artist has created a giant mirrored structure that comments on our increasing obsession with selfies.

"Screen Identity" is a seven-foot wooden sculpture of a smartphone that features a mirror as its screen. It is big enough to frame the entire body of those who approach it, reinforcing the idea that as a society, we are living more and more "inside our phones". 

"It is an attempt to comment on our generation's obsession with selfies and the fact that much of our lives are now lived inside a phone," explained artist and designer Gabe Ferreira in an email to Relaxnews

The artwork was displayed at California State University Long Beach in Long Beach, California, back in March, exhibited with a plaque prompting viewers to hashtag any photos, posts, or selfies related to (or taken with) the piece with "#ultimateselfie". 

According to Ferreira, the response confirmed suspicions that we are becoming obsessed with selfies, as "any mirror becomes an opportunity to share your face with the world".

I find selfies harmless because they are a by-product of technology-enabled self-exploration. In any case, Amy Leigh Mercree did say: “Celebrate who you are in your deepest heart. Love yourself and the world will love you.” And selfies fulfill that purpose, don't they? You have to love yourself in order to take a selfie.

"Screen Identity" will be displayed at locations in Southern California over the coming months. 

On Monday, I was at Level 8, Mercu UEM in KL Sentral for the KL Advanced Toastmasters meeting. I was fortunate to secure a speaking slot – thank you, Lucky – and I delivered CC#7 titled ‘Refreshing Coke” – my speech was about the benefits of drinking Coke! And I spoke persuasively so much so that I was thirsting for this beverage because Coke is it! I must have done a good job because I was voted Best Speaker. Additionally, I was the evaluator for Philip Wong’s Advanced speech which was equally enjoyable. A good meeting overall and I would give it a score of an 8 over 10. 














No comments: