Saturday, April 12, 2014

Agree to Disagree on Hudud

Kelantan Menteri Besar Ahmad Yakob is intending to finally push for a private member’s Bill in parliament through one of PAS’ MPs in order to implement hudud in the state. 

[The state has already passed the Kelantan Syariah Criminal Court Enactment in 1993. Apart from Kelantan, another state that has a state enactment to implement is Terengganu. The enactment was passed in 2002 when PAS governed the state]. 

DAP of course opposes hudud and makes its stand clear again. 

It is a reflection of the two parties’ maturity and mutual respect for each other that they can agree to disagree on hudud. Hulu Langat PAS MP, Che Rosli Che Mat did not blink an eye when DAP objected, saying: “In PAS’ tahaluf siyasi (political cooperation), everyone respects each other’s views even if their stance opposes one another. We are fine with DAP opposing hudud.” 
 






















On Wednesday evening, I was at the Joint Accountants Toastmasters meeting in KL’s Brickfields – bringing together members from MIA, CIMA, KPMG, PwC, Deloitte Malaysia and Adrian Yeo. I am thankful that Johnny Yong (MIA) kindly gave me a speaking slot and so I delivered a CC#2 speech. My dedicated evaluator was Tan Lay Theng and although she said nice things, I didn’t think I did justice to the speech. It could have been better organized. 

A good meeting overall and I am giving it a score of an 8 over 10. 





























































No comments: