Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Heralding in 2013























Photo by PA












Photo by Reuters.





















Photos by Andrew Jack












Photo by PA

Edinburgh's Hogmanay (New Year) celebrations began on Sunday, December 30. Check out the photos above.

My end-year report on my 2012 resolutions showed a wee improvement from my earlier progress report. I suppose I should be happy with small successes.

Year 2012 Resolution List: Outcomes 

1. Work hard to be happy – Still “happiness”-hunting!
2. Achieve Distinguished Toastmasters recognition – Done; doing the documentation (90%).
3. Charter Sunway University Toastmasters Club – Achieved target.
4. Self-publish an anthology of short stories – I don’t think I am able to do anything this year.
5. Publish three academic/conference papers – Completed one paper and already submitted; waiting for feedbeck from the editors.
6. Yield 204,000 pageviews for my blog – Achieved target, i.e. 240,290 pageviews.

Achieving close to 50% of my resolutions is an okay achievement, I suppose.

I have been thinking for quite awhile whether I should continue to keep to this New Year tradition of making resolutions. I did think of abandoning the idea of having them but Eric Zorn made a lot of sense when he said: “Making resolutions is a cleansing ritual of self assessment and repentance that demands personal honesty and, ultimately, reinforces humility. Breaking them is part of the cycle”.

Here’s my 2013 list – this year, again, I am focusing on self:

1. Work hard to be happy.
2. Successfully complete my M Sc in Marketing
3. Successfully complete my Graduate Certificate in Higher Education
4. Publish three academic/conference papers
5. Get the DTM award
6. Complete the twelvth round of the Toastmasters’ Competent Communication manual

I must stay focused. I must believe in myself. I am going to succeed.

No comments: