Friday, December 14, 2012

Malaysia Exits AFF Suzuki Cup 2012

On November 28, 2012, I had blogged about Malaysia’s embarrassing defeat to Singapore in a Group B match of the AFF Suzuki Cup 2012 competition. I wasn’t being fair because I had judged Malaysia based on one game only. I must provide closure because there were other matches that Malaysia subsequently played. We carved an easy 4-1 win over Laos, and then followed this up with a 2-0 win over Indonesia to make the semi-final. [Actually the two positive results shouldn’t come as a surprise because Laos is ranked No. 177 and Indonesia is ranked No. 165, basing on the FIFA World Ranking Table].

Then we ran out of steam. Thailand saw off defending champions Malaysia 3-1 on aggregate, beating them 2-0 in the return encounter (December 13, 2012) after both sides had played out a 1-1 draw in the first leg (December 09). This means Thailand qualifies for the final against Singapore. Malaysia must go back to the drawing board. Again.

Yesterday, I was at Wisma UOA Pantai in KL’s Jalan Pantai Jaya to make a long-overdue return visit to the Kelab Pidato Kuala Lumpur. The last time I was there was November 24, 2011! This time, I took up the role as Timekeeper (or as it is referred to as the ‘Penjaga Masa’) and I even managed to try my first Table Topics speech in Malay. I was pleasantly rewarded with the Best Table Topics Speaker (‘Pemidato Spontan Terbaik’) award. Although there was a small crowd of only eight Toastmasters and one guest – overall, it was a learning experience. I would give this meeting a score of a 6 out of a 10.






No comments: