Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Tough Test

A report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) that examined the fiscal consequences for Scotland if it were to leave the UK following a planned 2014 referendum has warned that an independent Scotland could leave the country facing more limited economic choices than the rest of Britain.

I wonder if it has a pro-British agenda since it painted a less-than-bright picture of Scotland’s future. I am sure the Scottish people won’t be easily influenced by the gloomy assessment. Scottish pride based on self-determination is priceless and I believe Scotland holds much promise.

In the same report, it is argued that if North Sea oil and gas revenues were allocated on a geographical basis, then in the short term the "outlook for an independent Scotland looks as if it might be no more uncomfortable than that for the UK as a whole".

And then it meandered into negativity when it cautioned that this situation "may not be sustainable in the face of volatile and, over the long run, probably diminishing North Sea revenues".

Is the IFS credible? I do not believe that Scotland is going to depend on just one revenue stream. I am confident that Scotland can prosper on its own. I know Scotland will succeed.

Last evening, I was in AFC House in Kuala Lumpur’s Bukit Jalil for the AFC Toastmasters meeting. I was invited by Jocelyn to be the Evaluator for a club member who delivered CC speech # 7. I thought the meeting was less than energetic but the quality of speeches and evaluations could be described as moderate-to-high. I was voted Best Evaluator and the Toastmaster whom I had the pleasure to evaluate was similarly voted Best Speaker. I would score the meeting a 7 out of a 10.











No comments: