Friday, October 19, 2012

Funeral Music

Once solemn occasions – I am talking about funerals here – are now being turned into celebrations with a pop song soundtrack – well, at least in the UK. They have replaced hymns as the most popular music choice at two thirds of funerals, according to the evidence from 30,000 funerals conducted by the Co-Op. According to this research, hymns at funerals accounted for 41 percent of all funeral music requests in 2005, however the figure is now down to 30 percent.

Sinatra's My Way remains the firm favourite, making it the longest running number one by holding on to the top spot for seven years. The idea of someone living a life in their own way, facing adversity and coming through regardless has an obvious appeal to a generation who loved Sinatra in his heyday. [My Way is played at more than one in seven of all funerals, while six of Sinatra's hits feature in the funeral chart top 100]. In second spot is Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, and in third place is Bette Midler's Wind Beneath My Wings. Other popular songs featured in funerals include Eva Cassidy's version of Over the Rainbow, Westlife's You Raise Me Up, Adele’s Someone Like You and Robbie Williams and Angels.

And if you are not yet ready to die, learn to age at your own pace. I am reminded of this quote by Marilyn Monroe: “I want to grow old without facelifts... I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You'd never wholly know you.”

Women should learn from men. Check out these guys:






















Yesterday, the Sunway University Toastmasters Club had their twelfth meeting and even though it was the mid-term break for students – unfortunately, not for the lecturers – we still recorded an attendance of twenty-one. We had a record of ten Table Topics speakers and four project speakers, including yours truly. I delivered CC speech #8 Get Comfortable with Visual Aids– my sixth round of the Competent Communication manual – titled “Big Business”. My speech was evaluated by another ACG ALB no less, i.e. Loh E-Jiat from the YMCA Penang Toastmasters Club and who is also the Area Governor for N3.

A good meeting and I believe we deserve an 8 out of a 10 score. After all, enthusiasm is never lacking in Room NE3-4 and better still, members continue to challenge themselves.

 




 
 
 
 
 





No comments: