Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Rats!


The 45 places to go in 2012 as determined by The New York Times – published January 06, 2012 – include my favorite cities, i.e. London, Glasgow, and yes, Malacca! Wow! The sleepy hollow that is Malacca is attracting troops of tourists!

I was at Cititel yesterday and thanks to Moses Wong, I delivered my advanced speech from the Public Relations manual, i.e. The Crisis Management Speech, titled “We’ll Bounce Back” at the MidValley Toastmasters meeting.

I was originally thinking of presenting the Singapore train crisis - I blogged about it, remember? - but then I thought I will speak about something closer to home. Then I recalled reading in the newspaper – it was the SJ Echo – about this rat eradication exercise that was executed in SS15 Subang Jaya sometime in December 2011. And also somebody telling me that they closed all the restaurants and coffee-shops and even Asia Café for a period of time. This was one of those photos (above) that I clearly remembered seeing. Anyway, I decided to latch onto this issue instead and I spoke as a restauranter who owns a make-believe business in that locality. I had four to six minutes for the presentation and three to five minutes for the Q&A session. I must have been so convincing because some members told me afterward that they really believed I had a restaurant!

I also was the evaluator for Keith Ho’s contest speech. In the end, I was voted Best Speaker and Best Evaluator! A double achievement. The only thing to spoil this otherwise superb evening was that they were four minutes late in starting the meeting. Overall, I would give this meeting a 7 out of a 10.

I managed to locate this news article which was dated December 10, 2011 – so for readers interested to know a little bit more, here it is! ADUN Subang Jaya Hannah Yeoh had said that she had received many complaints on rats from residents, especially from SS15, which was one of the oldest areas in Subang Jaya.

"Improper disposal of food waste is the main culprit. Restaurants throw their food waste everywhere and even into drains. Many backlanes are littered with renovation waste and old furniture which make good hiding places for rats."

Yeoh had said it was time for the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) to review their pest control guidelines.

"It is also timely for residents to also be selective on where they had their meals. Send a strong message that you do not tolerate dirty eateries."

The newspaper reported that in just two days, MPSJ collected 265 dead rats. And I bet you, there were more of the expired vermin still to be collected.

According to MPSJ health director Dr Roslan Mohamed Hussin, some of these rodents could weigh as much as 1kg each! I am figuring that's a lot of rat meat! Didn't I read somewhere that poor villagers in northern Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia consume rat meat, which is a popular alternative to other dearer meats? Of course, those rats were caught from rice fields and they are definitely clean compared to their diseased cousins found in towns and cities.

Rat meat can be made into many tasty dishes: Stir-fried, boiled, grilled or deep-fried, but roasted rat meat is the most common! For connoisseurs of food, rat meat with fermented rice or finely chopped rat with lemongrass and chili are the ways to go.

No comments: