Friday, December 23, 2011

Moody Blues

I actually loved that blue outfit that Lady Gaga wore – have you seen her photo that I posted early this morning? And it is the right color too as I am feeling blue right now – having to slave industriously over the mountain-high pile of exam scripts that is sitting forlornly in front of me!

I have made progress – I have completed marking all the Entrepreneurship papers and some of the Principles of Marketing papers – but I still have – let me count – I am eyeballing 116 answer booklets! And I swear the scripts are sniggering at me! Does this mean that I have to be house-bound this Christmas? Boohoo, life sucks!


The other blue thing is this village in southern Spain whose inhabitants happily voted to keep their habitats blue! Yes, Juzcar residents decided to keep the paint job to benefit from the tourist boom.

The Smurfs – just in case, you don’t know them! – are small fictional creatures created by the Belgian cartoonist Peyo, with blue skin, white trousers with a hole for their short tails, white hat in the style of a Phrygian cap, and sometimes some additional accessory that identifies a personality.

Anyway, Juzcar served as the film location for The Smurfs movie, and therefore, the pueblo was transformed into the set of Smurftown for Sony Picture’s movie by being painted blue – all 175 buildings!


Soon after, Juzcar learns how to cash in on their new-found celebrity status. Previously, just about 300 tourists would pass through Juzcar in a year. In the past six months, an estimated 80,000 followers of "Los Pitufos" (as the Smurfs are known in Spanish), have dropped into the “blue” village.

In fact, the villagers are enthusiastically embracing their new role – they have events such as a Smurf moonlight fun run, Smurf painting competitions and permanently running Smurf trade fairs. There are even Smurf-themed weddings to keep fans of the squeaky little blue folk coming.

Blue may not be my favorite color but do you know that it is the least "gender specific" color, having equal appeal to both men and women? And of course, blue is calming and during this stressful post-exam period – is it any wonder why I am snacking on blue M&Ms?

No comments: