Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cowherd Defends Shahrizat

Yesterday morning, I participated in the Taylor’s University Toastmasters Club meeting where I was the General Evaluator. I was the second person to arrive (09:12 AM) and I knew I must expect tardiness. True enough, we started the meeting 15 minutes late. Alos, there were only twelve of us who attended, and by the time the meeting ended, there were only ten. I was informed that students are exceptionally busy during this time of the year what with assignment deadlines and approaching exams. Fair enough because I do know that my Sunway University students are also in the same boat.

Anyway, only one speech was delivered and even then the speech objectives were not really met. The Table Topics segment was interesting though – it required speakers to role-play. They had to speak for one to two minutes based on the scenarios given by the Table Topics Master. A good session!

When my turn came to give my GE report – I dispensed some invaluable advice. One good suggestion that I made was for them to consider having joint-meetings in order to boost numbers. I could not help but notice that with the lack of numbers, even the applause was halfhearted. The other was that they should have mentors. If their sponsoring club is not able to assist, then I proposed that they look for Toastmasters from other clubs who are willing to be mentors. Plus a couple more suggestions that are beneficial.

I have to be honest – I was somewhat disappointed with the attendance. I have heard that this club is very vibrant but this particular meeting was a let-down. This meeting managed a score of 4 in my books – it could have been worse if not for the energy brought in by Vincent Liew and Bryan Chong – two HELP Toastmasters.

Cows are considered stupid. But not Shahrizat. Ask Rembau MP Khairy Jamaluddin – he knows! On Friday, he stated that Shahrizat’s company, NMLC bought the Bangsar condo as a real estate investment because it found itself with surplus funds. And of course, she drew down NFC funds to pay to NMLC! So Malaysian taxpayers actually paid for the condo! I am not implying anything but you know what I mean! I don't believe we want to be taken for a ride, to be hoodwinked, to be duped.

But wait a sec! Many real estate experts have concluded that KL is facing a distressing glut of luxury properties, with rental yields falling as much as 50 percent in some cases (Webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/rm10m-cattle-condo-was-an-investment-says-khairy, published November 11, 2011).

Khairy also informed us that the condo has since been rented out and also appreciated in value since it was purchased. He did not, however, specify the rental yield. He seemed to be well-informed. You never know, folks, he might just be Shahrizat’s rent-collector! Or if as some speculate that cows are really living there, he might be the resident cowherd! Who knows what is true and what is not true? BN politicians are so adept at deceiving Malaysians that anything is possible. Malaysia Boleh wad!

No comments: