Friday, November 11, 2011

"Ground" Work Begins


The above photos of construction works at Sunway University were taken between 8:50 AM and 09:00 AM this morning. Some "ground" work has started.

Yesterday evening, I was at KDU University College to attend the D’Utama Advanced Toastmasters meeting. My good friend, Chan Siew Peng was the Toastmaster-of-the-Evening and I was there to lend support. Although I didn’t have any role, I was requested to assist and guide Jacklyn Hoi in the time-keeping department as this was her first time.

Speeches and evaluations could be best described as a mixed bag – I particularly enjoyed the first three speeches but the evaluations were so-so save one. I thought the grammarian didn’t make full use of his time and there were at least two instances when he tried to supplant correct English with flawed English.

Overall, I would score this meeting a 5 out of a 10. Still, if there was anything that I could take away from this meeting was a quote that Chan gave, and that was “Stand up, speak out, unleash your voice”. When I heard that, I felt compelled to do exactly just that. It reminded me to make a speech in the next week – it’s been too long. The last time I delivered a 5-7 minute speech was in October 17, 2011!

No comments: