Monday, February 7, 2011

Rescue Airlift

Since Egypt imploded, countries around the world scrambled to send in planes to fly their citizens out.

From the many reports that I have searched, read and compiled including;;;;;;html;, many countries wasted little time to quickly mount rescue operations.

Some notable examples. India and Turkey began to airlift their citizens on Sunday, January 30, 2011. Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan organized additional flights to move their citizens out of Egypt on the same day too. The United States, China and Iraq followed suit on Monday. Greece sent three C-130 military transport planes on Tuesday, so did Indonesia. Australians were evacuated on Wednesday.

Malaysia only began to bring her citizens out of Egypt on Thursday. The Malaysian embassy there was obviously sleeping on the job and so we have been slow to react to a fast-deteriorating situation. Thankfully, by the time Najib made the decision to bring back Malaysians, the Egyptian army had already taken control of Cairo and other hotspots – otherwise, the evacuation plan may well have been jeopardized and Malaysian lives may have been put in danger. Still, I suppose, it’s better late than never! And fortunately for us, everything went like clockwork.

Rangers took the lead from a Jamie Ness strike (3) but Kris Commons equalized on 16 minutes for Celtic. Steven Naismith was brought down in the box by Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster – which meant the latter was red-carded and conceding a penalty, which was scored by Steven Whittaker (41) as he blasted the ball low past substitute Lukasz Zaluska into the corner of the net. Scott Brown leveled for Celtic with a sweet left-footed curling shot from 20 yards (65), after Mark Wilson had done well to set him up. With fifteen minutes to play, Rangers' Naismith got a second yellow card after being adjudged to have dived in the penalty area as he tried to win his team a second penalty. Both teams finished with ten men as they ended this Scottish Cup fifth-round match with a 2-2 draw.

The result means the Glasgow giants have set up a seventh Old Firm derby this season, with the pair also due to play in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final, in addition to their four Scottish Premier League games.

And in this EPL match between Liverpool and Chelsea, the former beat the latter 1-0. Torres was in the starting eleven and he played his usual average game. The man-of-the-match was Raul Meireles who hooked home from close range after 68 minutes to take the game – and potentially any lingering title aspirations – from the big-spending Blues. The Reds were just magnificent. Enough said. I am over the moon!

No comments: