Friday, January 28, 2011

The Teoh and Kugan Story Continues

Taman Indrahana Toastmasters who filled up two tables had their Lunar New Year dinner yesterday at the Sum You Restaurant in Petaling Jaya. Of course, there was yee sang (i.e. raw fish salad), fortune cookies (My message was intriguing: “You have an active mind and a keen imagination”), overflowing red wine and an 8-course meal to ensure that for a change, we talk less! Good fellowship was abundant and aplenty.

In a statement yesterday, Teoh Beng Hock’s sister Lee Lan insisted that as her brother died in the custody of the MACC, “personnel within the government agency should take responsibility for his death” – unless of course the inquest verdict is overturned and we are told that Teoh voluntarily jumped to his death.

And today, the Sessions Court found police constable V Navindran not guilty of causing grievous hurt to A Kugan when the latter was detained by police on suspicion of having being involved in car thefts and who subsequently died in the USJ police lock-up on January 20, 2009. In making his decision, Judge Aslam Zainuddin said the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case against the police constable.

The death was initially classified as sudden death and attributed to water in his lungs according, to an initial post-mortem report. However, the case was reclassified as murder following public outcry.

A second post-mortem was conducted at the insistence of his family, and pictures from it released online indicated Kugan had suffered severe injuries on his body. This supported widespread belief that he was tortured while in police custody.

The reluctance on the part of the police to allow a second post-mortem and the significant differences in the two reports, including descriptions of the extent of injuries and the actual cause of death, has also raised accusations of an attempted cover-up. Following Kugan’s death, eleven rank and file police officers were transferred to desk duty at the Selangor police headquarters. But only one individual V Navindran was charged and of course, acquitted.

So, am I to believe that Kugan beat himself up and got himself so badly injured to the point that he died by his own hands? This suspect was obviously so very dangerous even to himself!

No comments: