Sunday, October 25, 2009

Trick or Treat Tickets on Sale!

Trick or Treat, HICT’s Halloween Show this coming Friday is going to be a blast. And look at the tickets. They’re so creatively done!!! They must be the work of my students who have done Marketing with me, hehe!! C'mon everybody, get your tickets now! I already did.


In one of my previous postings, I had mentioned the untimely death of so-called witness Teoh Beng Hock in MACC’s hands. I had refrained from commenting on this subject because I didn’t want to get caught in the delicate web of fragile emotions that are entangling everybody – it’s easy to get fuming mad about this issue because a young man who was about to get married died prematurely. But even now, raw emotions are still at play because a needless death had occurred. Authorities had claimed that Teoh fell out of the window; there was no foul play - at least according to two local pathologists and the police. Yet, the public perception differs because our law-enforcement agencies are widely believed to be brutish and callous in their interrogation methods. Remember Kugan?

Yet, it was still shocking to hear Thai pathologist, Dr. Pornthip Rojanasunand – who gained international prominence from her work in identifying the 2004 Asian tsunami victims – giving her opinion on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 about results of the autopsy on Teoh Beng Hock, that there was “80 percent chance of homicide and only 20 percent chance of suicide despite a local pathologist Dr. Khairul Aznam Ibrahim from the Hospital Tengku Rahimah Ampuan in Klang giving nine reasons why he thought Teoh would have killed himself while being a witness for alleged abuse of a paltry sum of government funds” (Webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/opinion/breaking-views/41022-teohs-dead-but-his-body-talks-the-malaysian-insider-, dated October 21, 2009). She had dug deep into her 27 years of experience conducting some 10,000 post-mortems, of which more than 100 dealt with fatal falls, before she opined that Teoh was probably murdered. She had testified that Teoh “was indeed alive when he hit the ground but added that he was unconscious, judging from the lack of injuries to his wrists and ankles. She explained that if he were still conscious when he fell, there would have been ‘reaction wounds’ to show he had instinctively tried to stop from hitting the ground. She said that Teoh’s injuries showed he could have been strangled and that he sustained anal penetration before he fell to his death on July 16. Dr. Pornthip added that Teoh could have passed out as an outcome of the strangulation or from the pain from injuries to his anal region”. Read The Malaysian Insider’s article at webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/malaysia/40991-thai-expert-says-teohs-death-80pc-homicide, also dated October 21 and you, like me will be numbed and outraged by it all. One cannot read this article and not bristle with anger. Justice must bear upon those who have inflicted torture upon defenseless Teoh and caused his sudden death.

Below is an excerpt from a news report in The Star (Webpage
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/10/22/nation/4952529&sec=nation, dated October 22): Thai forensic pathologist Dr Pornthip Rojanasunand is willing to conduct a post mortem on Teoh Beng Hock if his remains were to be exhumed.

She told coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas she would be able to come up with a more concise and detailed analysis if she could examine Teoh’s remains.

To a question by counsel holding a watching brief for Teoh’s family, Gobind Singh Deo, Dr Pornthip said she would still be able to conduct the post mortem in spite of the deceased having been buried almost four months ago.

Asked whether the exhumation of Teoh’s remains for the purpose of the second post mortem would put her at a disadvantage, she said no.

She admitted that there would be ‘limitations’ due to decomposition if a second postmortem was delayed.

However, she reiterated that she could still do so at this stage.

Meanwhile, counsel for the government – Tan Hock Chuan – ruffled Dr Pornthip’s feathers yesterday when he suggested she did not have the locus standi to arrive at her opinion.

“Since you did not conduct the post mortem or inspect the body or go to the scene of the incident and you are not furnished with all the reports and photos, is it appropriate to form an opinion on mathematical terms that suicide is 20% and homicide 80%?” asked Tan.

Dr Pornthip replied that she only based her opinion on the evidence provided.

She said she did not take sides and that her work involved taking care of the rights of the people, especially the dead.

Isn’t she awesome? An amazing lady who knows what she is talking about and who is not afraid to speak her mind and share the truth with us! If only our own Malaysian pathologists have the courage – but I suspect these local experts are not cowardly as much as they are grossly incompetent! Bungling Dr. Khairul Aznam, why you so blur-blur?

No comments: