Friday, January 9, 2009

A-List Managers

Since becoming a Head of Department, I am constantly surprised by the antics exhibited by my colleagues and fellow HODs – these people who are supposedly matured and all grown-up – after all, they are the leaders in an organization, an educational institution at that. We are normally engaged in about 6 or 7 meetings on average per week, and these managers happily put on display their shenanigans for all to see. Why, just yesterday morning (January 08) – one manager walked out in a huff – hardly ten minutes into a meeting! You can see his blue veins on his forehead trembling with pretentious anger and almost popping out in a hissy fit. I tell you, I almost fell out of my chair and cracking up because he was so comical that he could have won awards for scaling the heights of juvenile stupidity and farcical absurdity. And this is the manager who has the habit of periodically walking in and out of meetings – much to everyone’s annoyance. But it’s kinda funny, even weird because when Dr. Paul Chan is in attendance, I notice he hardly moves – it is as if he is pinned down in his chair, his buttocks firmly glued to the seat. And there’s another manager who has this habit of easing into a temporary (read, duration of the meeting) coma. I do acknowledge, most times, these meetings are aimless exercises in mundane impotence – it’s like a dog that spends its time chasing its tail and going pointlessly round and round in circles. I will be the first to admit that it is a challenge to keep awake because some managers are so gifted that when they open their mouths to speak, they have this uncanny ability to put many of us into a lethargic state of drowsy stupor. There’s also this manager who is so repetitious with his tall stories, that he even manages to convince himself that these tales represent the truth and nothing but the truth – and even stranger still, there are people who are believers. I guess falling hook line and sinker is not too difficult for some people to do, if you know what I mean. And then there is this manager who is so dripping with honeyed sarcasm that if she sits for an exam, her demonstration of disparaging derision deserves an A+ grade. And not forgetting – her eyes can shoot daggers at you with nary a blink, and hitting their target spot-on too. Believe me, I am genuinely impressed with her prowess; this skill that must have been honed from many, many years of disciplined training in Singapore and the U.S. of A. This is our A-list of managers whom I have the misfortune to be associated with. I cannot wait for the boss to effect the change that we are all waiting for… Let’s hope for my sanity’s sake that this takes place quickly. In the meantime, I can only sit back and take it all in my stride as best as I can ...

4 comments:

Kiasi Malaysian said...

And I wonder who....

Kiasi Malaysian said...

And I wonder who...

Glam said...

So obvious wad!!

Kiasi Malaysian said...

dun make me name them lar. pai seh!